HEARTY CHICKEN CHILI
From Softstar Shoes (What shoe company sends a recipe card with your purchase?)
A perfectly fine meal, and a kid favourite. Serves 4 to 6.
- 2 tablespoons fat or oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 lb pasture-raised chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces (our boneless skinless chicken breasts work well here)
- 3 – 4 cups cooked or 2 15 oz cans cannelloni beans (white kidney beans)
- 1.5 cups cooked or 1 15 oz can black beans
- ½ cup bean liquid, reserved from cooking or the cans
- 1 cup chicken stock (recipe)
- 1 4 oz diced green chilies
- ½ cup milk or cream
- Grated cheese, like cheddar
- Chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, and dried red pepper. Sauté 5 minutes. Push onions to the side of the pan.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Sauté around 5 minutes.
- Add beans, bean liquid and chilies to the chicken. Simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the milk and cook for another few minutes.
- Season to taste, ladle into bowls and top with cheese, cilantro and more!