Chicken Butchery Workshop with Jamie Waldron
Piecing whole chicken is a great way to diversify your meal options and add even more value to your pasture-raised chicken. But, it can be intimidating to get started with at-home butchery. Sharp (or unsharp!) knives, so many bones to work around – how do you know you are doing it right?
To help you master the art of chicken butchery, we’ve invited professional butcher and educator, Jamie Waldron, to give a hands-on workshop on chicken butchery. This class is open on a first-come-first-served basis for Chicken Bundles customers at a discounted rate. Space is limited, as the workshop format is a small group environment. (If there are spots remaining, we will open the class up to everyone.) For a less intensive demonstration, check out the Chicken Butchery and Stock Demonstration with Ellen Laing.
What you will learn:
- How to truss a chicken for roasting using different methods
- How to break down a whole chicken
- How to package a pieced chicken for freezing
What you will take home:
- Hands-on instruction from a professional butcher and teacher with over 18 years experience in the industry
- 2 pasture-raised chickens from Three Ridges Ecological Farm either trussed and/or pieced (your preference), and freezer-wrapped and labeled for storage
- Sarah’s favourite chicken barbecue sauce
You will want to attend this workshop if:
- You love chicken and want to diversify how you use pasture-raised chicken (and save money doing so!)
- You want to learn or gain more confidence with home butchering skills
- You love learning artisan skills and connecting with others in a small group environment
What you need to bring to the workshop:
- Your favourite knife or knives
- (Cutting board and truss twine provided)
About the workshop facilitator:
Jamie Waldron is culinary professional who has dedicated his life to learning the art and skill of butchering; working, researching and teaching an age old craft that has fallen out of step with the current methods of purchasing and preparing food. His approach uses the whole animal to its fullest potential and advocates using local, responsibly raised animals.
We’ll send out information about specifics of the workshop a few days before the workshop, including a reminder of what to bring.
- $65 for Chicken Bundle customers. Register here or email Sarah to arrange an e-transfer for the ticket price.
- $90 for everyone else. Email Sarah to arrange an e-transfer for the ticket price.
- Three Ridges Ecological Farm will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Three Ridges Ecological Farm or Jamie Waldron.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 30 days notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 30 days notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.